Stress, both physical and mental, can really wreak havoc on the body. Whether we are mentally stressed out from trying to meet work deadlines or sitting in traffic during your morning commute or physically stressed from inflammation in the body or excessive exercise, the body of a woman requires a delicate balance in order to achieve pregnancy. When our body perceives a “stressor," a hormone called cortisol is produced that puts us into a “fight or flight” mode. Cortisol is necessary for us to effectively manage a potentially dangerous encounter, like running away from a tiger, as it provides us with quick energy and an “adrenaline” boost. Unfortunately, the way we perceive stressful situations, whether from a tiger, traffic, excessive exercise, or inflammatory disease, yields similar chemical reactions in the body. In the situation of chronic stress, the body transitions from a state of “rest, digest, reproduce” to a “fight or flight." Essentially, the body becomes too focused on survival and eliminates the possibility of having a baby as it perceives the conditions to be unsafe.
Nicole’s Holistic Nutrition Approaches Include:
- Education on what is going on in your body and why you have high cortisol
- Foods to avoid to best manage your condition
- Therapeutic foods to boost your natural hormonal patterns
- The role of stress on hormone levels.
- Targeted and individualized supplementation protocols
- Navigating fertility with high cortisol
Recommended Laboratory Tests:
- DUTCH Hormone Testing
- SpectraCell Micronutrient Panel
- SpectraCell CardioMetabolic Panel
- Oxford Biomedical LEAP MRT Food Sensitivity Panel
Nicole is happy to review labs drawn by your physician (including hormonal panels, comprehensive metabolic panels, complete blood counts, thyroid panels, urinalysis, and others as warranted)
Call or E-Mail Today to Schedule Your Appointment!