Insomnia, or habitual sleeplessness and/or inability to sleep, plagues many individuals. Neurotransmitters, or chemical messengers in the brains, tell our bodies when to wake up and when to go to sleep. These neurotransmitters can malfunction due to nutritional deficiency, caffeine intake, blood sugar dysregulation, lack of exercise, and alterations in gut bacteria. In fact, that gastrointestinal tract is one of the most significant sources of melatonin, the sleep hormone! Eating foods that cause irritation to the gut can actually negatively impact your ability to fall and stay asleep.
Nicole’s Holistic Nutrition Approaches Include:
- Education on what is going on in your body and why you may be experiencing insomnia
- Foods to avoid to best manage your condition
- Therapeutic foods to boost your natural metabolic patterns
- The role of stress on brain function
- Targeted and individualized supplementation protocols
- How certain foods can affect our mood
- Natural approaches to boost cognitive function
- The role of the gastrointestinal tract on mood and brain health
Recommended Laboratory Tests:
- Comprehensive Thyroid Panel
- SpectraCell Micronutrient Panel
- Genetic Direction Gx-Slim & Gx-Renew
- Oxford Biomedical LEAP MRT Food Sensitivity Panel
Nicole is happy to review labs drawn by your physician (including hormonal panels, comprehensive metabolic panels, complete blood counts, thyroid panels, urinalysis, and others as warranted).