Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune condition that affects the glands responsible for producing tears, saliva, and the body’s other lubricating secretions leading to dry eyes and/or mouth. Oral dryness can lead to difficulty speaking, swallowing and tasting foods as well as cavities, mouth infections, dry lips, and/or burning throat. Dry eyes can cause blurry vision and sensitivity to bright lights. Sjogren’s can be difficult to diagnose and can go years before diagnosis is made, as many of the symptoms can be side effects of medications, allergies, and hormonal changes.
Nutritional Therapy Discussions Include:
- The importance of the gastrointestinal tract on the management of autoimmunity
- Ways to optimize your bacterial ratios in the GI tract
- Foods to help “heal and seal” the gut
- The role of stress on the body
- Therapeutic foods to incorporate
- Foods to avoid for symptoms relief
- Targeted nutritional supplementation
What are the Suggested Lab Tests?